Sunday, April 16, 2017

Soooo Long

Woah,

I'm done with research and I'm done with senior year. I'm actually done. There's a feeling I never thought I would experience.

With everything completely done, I honestly can't feel more overjoyed, relieved, and also sad at the same time. The last two years have been an amazing time, not only just with Seminar and Research, but also in so many other ways. I guess there's really nothing left to do but write this last post.

Research has been a pretty rewarding activity. I never thought that at the start of the year i would have a whole finance paper written. It's really taught me the value of hard work (and more importantly, of scheduling and consistent exertion). If it wasn't for the constant pressure of Mrs. Haag, I'm sure I would have fallen behind on research at some point down the line, but I'm really happy that I didn't.

The Capstone program has really drilled the importance of group work into me too. At the beginning of 11th grade, I honestly hated working in groups because most of the time it meant me doing all of the work. Communicating with other people more effectively, while also learning to be a lot less selfish helped a lot with that, and I'm a whole lot more enthusiastic about group projects now. That's a skill that's going to come in handy wherever I go: working through struggles with others is a daily part of college and life.

Looking back, Seminar and Research were entirely different beasts: research was so much more challenging and involved much more hard work. At the same time, though, I liked research so much more. At the start of the year, I was wondering if I liked finance enough. Now I know that I do. Being able to spend so much time on Finance-  a subject that, even though I spent a year on, still find as interesting as ever - has made me realize what I actually want to pursue in college. There's so much creativity and impact the subject can have upon others, and I know that I would love to study it.

For that, research has imparted a new focus for the next few years of my life. I know what I'm interested in, and I know how to pursue it.

Hopefully I have these same reflections four years when I'm writing a senior thesis a lot like I did this year in college.

For now,
Peace.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Akash!

    Being done with high school and research is something none of us thought we'd ever be able to say! I'm glad that you found the class to be rewarding and you're not going to be one of those people that bashes the class and all the work we were expected to do. It's also really great that it taught you to always give your all and not let up. But, its also good to recognize your weaknesses when you say that if Mrs. Haag hadn't pushed you, you would've fallen behind. Set a goal in college, make schedules for yourself and have someone keep you accountable. The stress of putting an assignment off is so unmanageable sometimes that it's just really not worth it, no matter what you're putting it off for. I'm also really glad that through this project, you've found something that you're truly interested in and want to continue in college.

    Akash, it was awesome reading your blog this year (even though half the time I couldn't understand it) and I wish you luck wherever you go (you probably won't need my luck because you'll get along just fine)

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akash!

    It’s been a long year of Research, but now we can finally relax, like you said. I think that learning the importance of working in groups will be beneficial for the rest of your life, since college and your professional life will be filled with group projects, co-workers, and people in general. Developing as a person in the AP Capstone program is something that you will always hold on to, and I think that that’s great. Also, discovering your passions is a great end result from AP Research. I was also on the edge regarding Marketing, and doing this research project really made me love it (and I think watching Mad Men helped too lol!). I think that there’s nothing more valuable than finding what you truly love and want to do in life, so Research being able to do that for you is amazing! Peace, Akash!

    (149)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akash -- I'm glad that through this class you've affirmed your ideas for the future. I think that's one of the really cool things about this class, in that it can provide for you clarity in your future path (whether it be that you end up hating a subject or loving it). I am really proud of your final presentation, and I cannot wait to see what you do in your life. Let me know where you end up choosing to go to school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Akash!
    It's been so great getting to know you over the past couple of years! I agree with everyone else in the way that I think it's great that you've learned the importance of group work (also, as someone who was in a group with you in Seminar, I'm pretty glad that you don't think of me as dead weight lol.) In all seriousness, though, I'm so happy that you've been able to find what you want to study in the future. I know that, no matter where you choose to go next year, you'll change the world

    ReplyDelete