Sunday, March 26, 2017

I Live For the Applause

Sup Everyone,

This week I haven't really done much other than research, sleeping, and eating. I watched Manchester by the Sea for the first time, and honestly, it was the funniest movie about loss that I've ever seen. I'd highly recommend it. I guess it was also pretty cool to see UNC make the final four (my dad's a huge fan). Anywhoozies, we're supposed to talk about our presentations right now, so I guess I'll just do that.

First off, the rubric row for the presentations has literally nothing about the literature review. Because of this, it's important to minimize the amount of time spent talking about the literature review. Now for me (and most people that have to get really technical) that's a problem. I need to get the listener to understand what I'm saying, but also make sure I don't spend to much time on information. For that reason, I'm still working on adjusting my literature review section of my presentation, and I would really like people to help me out with that section because I can't really assess how other people are going to understand my presentation with some of the definition I provide in my literature review.

Apart from that, I've dedicated a lot of time to my methods and results section. I especially took some time to make sure my methods section came across as clear in the slides by including a diagram of exactly what I plan on doing. Knowing me, though, this could come across as amazingly incomprehensible, so it would also be nice to see if my explanation of the methods, both on the presentation and in the script, was actually effective.

Another thing that the rubric has explicitly outlined is talking about the assumptions that you made in the literature review, why you made those assumptions, and what impact they had upon your research, and how you would revise those assumptions. This section is in my discussion section when I talk about intangible assets and positive investor sentiment. I realize that my explanations for why I made the assumptions might not be the strongest, so please tell me if you have a problem with it.

Aside from that, I tried to make my slides with as minimal words as possible and tried to provide comparisons between methods whenever they were needed. They could, of course, be way too much. Most people told me that my tables weren't too much for the paper, but I want to make sure they aren't too much for the presentation as well, because a lot people aren't going to look at the whole table during the presentation.

Here's praying for the next week.

Shocked that I Finished Kind of Early for Once,
Akash

3 comments:

  1. Hi Akash! I think your understanding of the rubric is really solid, and I definitely thinks it shows through on your script. I think you did a great job including the details you needed and cutting what you didn't need (a lot from the lit review). However, I think some of your explanations can be made a little less technical in the methods, and I think you should expand some of the significance points, especially in the very beginning and the very end. I think your PowerPoint could be improved a lot to bolster the points you are making in the script. A lot of the pictures and bullet points are generic and don't really add to/help visually explain what you are saying. If the answer to the question "Does this bullet point/picture help the audience better understand the point I am currently making?" is a "No," then you should try to find a more specific visual or delete/change that bullet point. Overall though, I think you have a great starting point and your script is pretty strong. Good luck practicing and editing your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Akash!

    You did a really fantastic job translating your paper into your script, but I'm going to agree with Audrey and say that there are still some places where I had to go back and read again to understand some of the technical jargon that, at this point, you use so effortlessly.

    In terms of your presentation, I think your script is broken up well to match the presentation, but I'm looking for more on your slides. I feel like you depend too much on pictures because you think that having some bullet points is going to bore the audience. On the contrary, having some more descriptive bullet points will actually engage the audience more because they'll actively be following along with you as they read the slide. To add to that, it's even more effective if, instead of having a description of the concept in a bullet point, that you have a phrase you are actually going to say. Going beyond just speaking, it allows you to play with the animations and keep the audience alert. The way that I like to look at bullet points is a little bit like the 3x3 theme things we did with Witz last year, meaning that you get the most information in three or so bullet points, each with as few words as possible. Other than that, there were just a couple formatting things that I pointed out in my comments (which are btw in the notes section underneath each slide).

    Good luck on your first practice presentation next week!

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Akash!!

    Good job on keeping the script really close to your actual paper, but much more concise and too the point! One problems with your script is that you have a lot of technical IPO economcis related terms that you either briefly explain very colloquially, or you don't explain them at all, so it gets kind of confusing. Also I think you spend too much time in the literature review talking about how intrinsic valuations are bad and shouldn't be used as opposed to how comparable firms approaches are good and should be used. I think if you don't use intrinsic valuation at all you can just not mention it, or you can mention it, and explain why comparable firms appraoches are better in your situation. SOmetimes your transitions are kind of awkward, and you never really explained why you were specifically looking at Snapchat, or why you didn't compare it to Instagram, because I feel like that's an even more similar social media platform to Snapchat. But overall, good job!!

    WIth your slides, I actually really like them because they're simple, and not too much or too crowded or anything liek that, but they still make sense, and you can still see the clear connection between the slides and the information that you mean to convey through the slides, so I really like that. However, I know that sometimes it's better to have more specific pictures for your slides, lsike I got a lot of comments that were like you should have a more specific picture!!! even if it's a visually appealing picture and its relevant to teh slides. So I don't really know, I guess ultimately it's up to you, but I really like the pictures and the formatting of the slides personally, except for those slides that are split in half, you need to make those symmetrical. Sometimes, the text should be bigger also. Otherwise, really good slides!!

    Good job Akash!! We are almost at the end, at the time for presentations! I know you'll do great! and maybe speak a little too quickly, but you will do a great job memorizing the script, and you'll do a bomb ass rapid fire presentation!!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete